August 2-8, 2022
Trip Cost: $7,500
Kodiak, Alaska: Home of the largest brown bears in the world
Another unique feature of Kodiak’s bruins is that their cubs keep the distinctive white fur around their necks for several years. This time of year, the bears will be fishing for salmon to fatten up for winter. And, while we’ll see them in town the first day, we’ll have them all to ourselves as the only group staying at an Alutiiq-owned lodge on Karluk Lake. Other species we’ll likely see in the city and in Karluk are a rare sub-species of fox only found in Kodiak (a stunning fox with a long mane of fur), bison, puffins, bald eagles, whales, orcas, sea lions, seals, sea otters, and so much more. Kodiak is known as a “birder’s paradise,” for avian enthusiasts in our group.
Trip Level: When you think of Alaska, you think of bears. On this trip, we guarantee you’ll see them or we’ll refund your deposit! While this trip is perfect for shutterbugs, others who enjoy wildlife viewing and unparalleled stunning landscapes will get a true Alaska adventure. To join this trip, you must be able to walk up and down stairs, and ride comfortably in planes, boats, and shuttles. The activity level is rated 1-2 / easy. Avid photography enthusiasts (beginners to professionals) should bring (you can rent them too) a digital SLR camera, a 300mm lens or longer and be familiar with basic manual menu settings prior to the trip.
Join Michelle Theall, senior editor at Alaska magazine and an award-winning professional photographer for the title on an EXCLUSIVE Alaska bear viewing and photography excursion. In her role as senior editor and photographer for Alaska Magazine, Theall has had the opportunity to explore Alaska in a way few others have, enabling her to find the best locations and vendors along with perfecting the logistical acrobatics needed to navigate an immense state with few road systems. The result: Theall’s tours through Wild Departures offer the very best of the state with one of the most knowledgeable guides available. Bonus: Theall owns property in Kodiak, because it’s her favorite place in Alaska.
THE TRIP AT A GLANCE
- 5 days and 6 nights of fully guided, safe bear viewing in the heart of bear country and on the island of Kodiak.
- Comfortable accomodations with modern ammenities and gourmet meals.
- Small group size: 7 tour participants
- 1-hour+, round-trip flightseeing tour to and from Kodiak proper and Karluk.
- Daily photography instruction, along with educational dialogue about bear behavior and the flora and fauna of Alaska, while shadowing Alaska Magazine’s senior editor and award-winning photographer for the title.
- Daily bear-viewing excursions along the coast and rivers on foot and by boat.
- Optional kayaking, hiking, and fishing (catch and release only)
- A framed image of your favorite shot from the trip, shipped to your home on your return
SPACE: Limited to 7
COMMITMENT DEADLINE: February 28, 2022 / Deposit Due
COST: $7,500 per person (double-occupancy) / $1,000 non-refundable deposit
Airfare to and from Kodiak and your home, trip insurance, and gratuities, not included. Full terms and conditions available with deposit.
For more information or to secure a spot on the trip, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP or book immediately by submitting your deposit below. Or, call: 720-635-1380 for additional details.
3 SPOTS LEFT